Monday, July 26, 2010
National Salad Week
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly-ground pepper
2 8-ounce tuna steaks
4 new red potatoes
4 ounces green beans
4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and halved
1 head Boston lettuce, core removed and leaves washed
2 plum tomatoes, sliced
2 shallots, thinly sliced
1/2 cup Nicoise olives
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 cloves garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Season tuna steaks with salt and pepper and cook until lightly browned on either side but still rare in the middle, 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and slice into 1/4 inch thick slices.
2. In a medium pot, cover potatoes by 2 inches of salted water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until fork-tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from water with slotted spoon and cut into quarters.
3. Bring water to a boil again. Add green beans and cook until bright green and crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Remove from water with slotted spoon.
4. Make the vinaigrette: place all ingredients in a blender and blender until smooth.
5. In a large bowl, toss potatoes, green beans, tomatoes and shallots with 2/3 of the vinaigrette. Divide lettuce leaves on four plates. Arrange all ingredients on top of lettuce, and drizzle with the remaining vinaigrette. Serve immediately.
Executive Producer: Pamela Canales
Executive Producer: Karen Jackovich
Executive Producer and Creator: Mike Stickle
All photography by Anita Aguilar. “Meet Jess” photo of Jessica Hulett by Linus Gelber.